I love sweet and sour chicken. It’s a dish I like to get when whenever we go out for Chinese. The problem is, it’s usually breaded and has sugar in it. So I was super excited when I found a recipe for sweet and sour chicken that had neither.
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 2 green peppers, sliced or cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion peeled and sliced into rings
- garlic salt and crack black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c. (1 can) of pineapple chunks in just fruit juice, no sugar added (save the juice from the can)
- pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. vinegar
- 6 T. soy sauce
- 3 T. THM brown sugar (or favorite sweetener to taste)
- 2 t. xanthan gum (or cornstarch)
- salt to taste
- water if needed to thin out the sauce (1 to 2 cups)
- Cut the chicken into chunks and cook in a big pot.
- Slice onions into rings and bell peppers into strips or chunks.
- Drain the juice from the can of pineapple chunks, saving it and set aside.
- Add the veggies to the chicken, season with garlic salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce: stir the THM brown sugar (or other sweetener) into the pineapple juice. Add the vinegar and soy sauce. Stir the sauce while you add the xanthan gum (or cornstarch).
- Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture and add the pineapple chunks. Allow to simmer for another 8-10 minutes and add water if needed to thin the sauce down.
- You can serve your sweet and sour chicken over cooked brown rice, if desired. Enjoy this yummy Asian dish!!
My whole family really like this sweet and sour chicken. I recommend you try this. For all my THM friends, this is an E meal. So keep your fats under 5g and your carbs 20-45.
Live, laugh, love and be kind! xoxo