First, let me just say how excited I am to be bringing you another review! The review isn’t of the pineapple upside down cake, but of the baking mix I’m using, that being said… there will be more reviews to come!! This little blog of mine has really taken off and I couldn’t be more pleased! Thank You to all those who are stopping by this new little clog of mine reading, commenting and subscribing. And to those who have tried the recipes here, THANK YOU! Please come back and let me know how they turned out and how you liked them. Link up with me if you blog about the recipes!! 🙂
And to those who have sent me products to review and run giveaways for…THANK YOU! I am pleased, humbled and honored to be working with you! It is truly my pleasure to try, test and review your products. I love my ‘job’! I look forward to working with more of you in the future so if you have a gluten-free or sugar-free product you would like me to review…please contact me. My contact information is right up there ^^^ where it says Contact/Work With Me! On to the recipe and review!
This is an adaptation of my MIL’s pineapple upside down cake. I knew almost immediately what I wanted to do when I saw the yellow cake mix in the box of mixes better batter sent me. Actually I really wanted to make my MIL’s rhubarb upside down cake, but since rhubarb’s not in season, pineapple upside down cake it was! The original cake is a homemade cake, but I knew I could make it work with this! So here’s the recipe!!
Easy GF Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Click HERE to print recipe)
What You’ll Need:
- 4 T. butter
- 8 pineapple rings
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 box better batter gluten-free yellow cake mix
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. pineapple juice (drained from pineapple)
- 1/2 c. apple sauce
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. Splenda® brown sugar mix (feel free to use regular brown sugar)
Note: Cake box calls for 3/4 c. oil. I don’t like using that much oil. If you don’t care, simply replace 1/2 c. applesauce and 1/4 c. oil for the full 3/4 c. oil.
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in the bottom of baking pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
- Place pineapple rings in bottom of the baking pan 4 across, 2 down.
- Place the maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple rings.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer blend cake mix, water, pineapple juice, apple sauce, oil and eggs at low-speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter carefully over pineapple and cherries in baking pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Then turn out onto serving plate to cool completely.
- Serve plain or with a dollop of whipped topping.
Now for the review of the cake mix…
better batter YELLOW CAKE MIX
- fat 0g
- cholesterol 0g
- sodium 270 mg
- total carbs 38g
- dietary fiber 1g
- sugars 23g
- protein 1g
This cake is very good. Great taste. Great texture. I love that is says on the box that it is a product of the US. It states clearly that it is gluten-free, kosher and acceptable for other allergies and conditions. Maybe best of all, I can pronounce every ingredient. The company gives to charities and helps people who can’t afford their products get them. What’s not to love, friends?
I give ‘better batter YELLOW CAKE MIX’ ♥♥♥♥♥