Zulka® recently sent me two 4 lb bags of their all natural, unrefined NON-GMO pure cane sugar to cook and bake with. So I thought I would put some to use to make these little muffins this morning for breakfast. I thought they looked like a delicate, subtly sweet item that would work well with this sugar. And I wasn’t wrong…
Look at these little beauties. They are just a breath of fresh air. Perfect for spring, don’t you think? They are so light and airy and bright with a mild sweetness and coconut flavor with a little surprise (pineapple pieces) inside. These mini muffins are perfect for your spring table!
Pineapple Surprise Mini Muffins (makes 24 mini muffins) (Click HERE to print recipe)
- 1 c. gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 t. xanthan gum
¾ t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda
1/8 t. kosher salt
3 t. coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 t. coconut extract
1/3 c. Zulka® Morena® Pure Cane Sugar + a little to sprinkle tops just before baking
1/4 c. plain nonfat greek yogurt
1/3 c. coconut milk
1/2 can or less pineapple chunks (I took pineapple chunks and cut them in half and the cut the halves in half, and put 2 small pieces in each muffin)
- Preheat oven 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, except sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, and coconut extract.
- Stir in the sugar and greek yogurt until thoroughly combined and no large lumps remain.
- Add flour mixture and coconut milk to egg mixture, alternating between the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour; stir until just incorporated.
- Fill each mini muffin cup a little more than halfway with batter.
- Place 2 small pieces pineapple into the center of each muffin, pressing lightly into batter; sprinkle top with a pinch more sugar
- Bake at 350°F for 11-12 minutes or until barely firm to the touch.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Adapted from here.
These are so good! I will definitely make these again. I told my daughter they would be perfect to take for her track and volleyball teams for snacks. They are always looking for healthy snacks for the kids and these would be perfect!
Zulka® Morena® Pure Cane Sugar ♥♥♥♥♥ (out of 5)
- This has fabulous flavor
- It’s NON-GMO
- It’s unrefined
- Because of the above, it’s less likely to spike your blood sugar, which is awesome!
Live, laugh, love and be kind! xoxo